Does this goldfish look smug to you? She might have good reason to be.
At 9 seconds, the attention span of the once-lowly goldfish is now longer than the average adult person’s (8 seconds), according to a 2015 study.
While that study could be more fish tale than fact, there’s no denying that modern attention spans are pulled in all sorts of different directions.
Just look at these numbers:
- 700,000 : Google searches performed every minute
- 100,000+: Digital words a person processes on average, every day
- 5.3 trillion: Online ads shown every year
Human brains are amazing organs. In computer terms, they’re capable of performing 38 thousand trillion operations per second. (The world’s fastest supercomputer can only do 0.002% as many.)
But even brains have their limits.
For messages to capture attention, create trust, and inspire action, they have to transcend informational clutter like never before.
That’s where storytelling comes in.
Stories have the power to cut through the noise because our brains have hard-wired attraction to narratives.
Character-driven stories with emotional content result in a better understanding of the key points a speaker wishes to make and enable better recall of these points weeks later.” – Paul J. Zak, Center for Neuroeconomics Studies
But that’s only one of several science-based reasons stories stick.
- Stories activate cortex activity, unlocking the senses and more areas of the brain than basic facts alone.
- They release dopamine, which encourages greater and more positive memory.
- They also allow audiences to connect to their own ideas and experiences – a process called natural coupling.
Stories shape messages into meaning.
From a business perspective, stories also create more valued experiences for audiences and better ROI for brands.
So, what’s your story? And how can we help you tell it so it penetrates a hyper-charged communications environment to produce results right away?
Three easy steps for you to follow right now:
- Fill out the form on the contact page to schedule a conversation.
- Allow us to create for you a customized storytelling plan.
- Let’s execute the plan together.